DIY Summer Placemats
These DIY Summer Placemats are bright and happy! The perfect little touch to elevate your summer table setting with just a few simple craft supplies.
- Rattan or straw placemats, open weave to embroider
- Yarn needle or Fabri-tac
- Fabric scissors
To Create the Glued Version
- Draw out your design in light color chalk on the placemat.
- Trace the design with Fabri-tac as you lay the yarn down. Add extra glue under intersections of the yarn to secure.
- Repeat to make as many placemats as desired.
- Allow the glue to dry for 24 hours then enjoy!
To Create the Embroidered Version
- Cut a length of yarn then, tie a knot on the end.
- Sew up through the back of the placemat then back down in to create a loop for the petal. Do not pull all the way through. PRO TIP: The more space between where you sew up through and down through the placemat, the wider the petal will appear.
- Pin the petal by pulling the loop to desired size, then tack the petal down at the top by sewing through the placemat and back down. Knot in place.
- Repeat step 3 to add as many petals as desired.
- In a different color of thread, create the center of the flower by sewing through then knotting multiple times.
- Create as many as desired then enjoy!