DIY Terrazzo Boxes
Have you heard of terrazzo? It’s a basically a really cool way that leftover material like marble, glass, granite, etc., used to be repurposed. It was used in Italy, which is where you see it mostly in flooring. Now, we are seeing everywhere from candle holders to tables. I love it! I think the specks look like confetti.
I made this last year on Home and Family and wanted to share it here!! If you want to see the video click here!
Oven bake clay; white for base and at least two-three additional colors
Tin can or glass vase
Measuring tape; optional
Wood ring or ball; optional
1. Working on a clean surface, roll out the white clay into a large rectangle using a rolling pin; you can use parchment paper to assist with the rolling by placing the clay between two sheets of the parchment.
2. Roll the clay out long and wide enough so that it will cover the entire vase or can when wrapped; you can check for sizing by using a measuring tape.
3. Cut small pieces off of the other colors of clay and sprinkle them over the white clay that is rolled out.
4. Use the rolling pin to roll the small pieces of clay into the larger pieces of white clay.
5. Place the vase or tin on the white clay and cut a rectangle that is slightly longer on both the top and bottom; use the tape measure to find the correct length (this can be done by wrapping the tape measure around the vase or tin, to get the correct size).
6. Wrap the vase/tin with the clay folding any excess over the top and bottom; gently press to attach the clay onto the surface.
7. Roll out the excess pieces of clay and cut a circle the same size as the top of the vase/tin.
8. Place the prepared vase/tin and top onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
9. Bake according to package instructions.
10. Allow to cool.
11. Glue the wood detail to the lid to make it a handle for the container.
Do not use a thin glass vase.
Parchment paper can be used to to help roll out clay.
A craft knife is just a knife designated for crafting and not used in the kitchen.
Use an oven thermometer to make sure your temperature is correct in your oven.