DIY Valentine’s Day Mail Carrier
How perfect are these for Valentine’s Day!? Every year my son needs to bring a box to school for the Valentines exchange and this year we really stepped up our game! This project looks impressive but is very simple. All you really need is some fabric and a box!
Cardboard Shipping Box
Yarn or Thread
1. Pick the size shipping box you’d like to use. You’re ideally looking for a thinner rectangular one.
2. On the top end, find where the middle of the width is and cut a triangle out of the top of your box, giving it an “envelope” look.
3. Using spray adhesive cover your box with the canvas. I wrapped it like a present so that I could create neat lines. Cut away any excess, and the top that hangs over the triangular cut leaving a little bit extra to fold inside the box.
4. Using an awl, poke holes through the canvas and cardboard around the perimeter of your box to give a pattern for the “stitching.”
5. Using a large needle and thread, weave your yarn in and out of the holes you created, making it look like a stitch pattern. Glue the ends of the yarn to the inside of the box.
6. Cut the end of a felt rectangle to give it the pointed envelope look. Leave it long enough to let it hang over the opening of the box, and glue the top/back of the box. Add a button and piece of yarn if you want the envelope to “shut” completely.
7. Add little details to the outside of your box to personalize it. I added a little felt square with a heart on it to make it look like a stamp! You can also use iron-on letters and felt to label it with a name!
8. To hang, cut two long strips of felt and glue the ends to the back of the box, making it look like a backpack. You can use these straps to hang it off your chair!