Easy Crunchy Shell Breakfast Tacos
I don’t think I know a single person in this world who doesn’t love tacos! That also includes my kids, which is why breakfast tacos entered our weekday morning breakfast rotation. I find that the smell of freshly cooked bacon first thing in the morning is one of the best ways to convince the kids to get out of their cozy beds. Bacon, eggs, cheese, and spinach are staples in my house, and they come together to make an easy and effortless breakfast.
Tips for Easy Crunchy Shell Breakfast Tacos
- The trick to taking tacos to the next level is all about texture. Adding a nice crunch to the outside of the tortilla is key. I find that flour tortillas work best for this… in my experience. I create the crunch by cooking them in a skillet (preferably cast iron). It’s an extra step that is totally worth it.
- Make sure to use cheese that is good for melting. The shredded Mexican blend is always a good one. If you like to shred yours yourself, a Monterey Jack Is great too.
- Add any kind of breakfast meat you like. My family likes bacon, but ham, sausage, or turkey bacon, are all great ideas. This can also be made meatless and add some beans for extra protein.
- Get creative! Add anything you like. I will sneak in some veggies by adding in some spinach or bell peppers.
Ingredients for 1 taco:
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 flour tortilla
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded cheese, I usually use a Mexican blend
- 2 slices of cooked bacon
- approximately scrambled 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh spinach, approximately
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat and place a flour tortilla on top of the melted butter.
- While the tortilla heats up, top it with shredded cheese. Then, add the bacon, scrambled egg, and a few pieces of spinach to one half of the tortilla circle
- Once the bottom of the tortilla has become lightly golden, use a spatula to fold the tortilla in half to create a taco by folding the side over that doesn’t have the toppings on it. This allows both sides to have cheese to help hold everything together.
- I like to eat mine with hot sauce and the kids like to wrap theirs up in aluminum foil and eat it on the go. Protein and veggies first thing in the morning, check and check!