Halloween Dirt Cups
How cute are these?? If you love chocolate, then you will love this recipe. It’s my Chocolate Budino, which is basically an Italian pudding. It is SO much better than any American style that has thickeners in it. This one is just thickened with eggs. I like dark chocolate, but if you are making this for kids, they might like milk or semi-sweet chocolate instead.
To make these “dirt cups” simply crush up some Oreos, or any chocolate cookie you like, and cover the tops of the scooped budino. Add additional details like I did in my Instagram Video!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 7 oz good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- Add the milk and cream to a large saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cocoa powder, and espresso powder until well combined.
- Slowly stir about 1/4 cup of the warmed cream and milk into the egg yolks to temper them, whisking continuously. Continue to add the warm dairy to the egg mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, while whisking.
- Add the mixture back to the large saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Cook, frequently whisking for about 5 minutes, until the custard has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Test this by coating the back of a spoon and using your finger to wipe a line down the middle; if the line stays, it’s ready.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a large mixing bowl and pour the custard through a sieve over the chocolate. The sieve will remove any parts of the eggs that may have been cooked.
- Set aside for 5 minutes until the chocolate has melted.
- Add in the butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Working quickly, whisk until smooth and well combined, and then whisk in the butter, salt, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour into serving dishes and place in the fridge until ready to serve. Allow the budino to sit at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes before serving.