Valentine’s Day Chocolate Waffles
Last year, I created an amazing Valentine’s Day themed waffle board for my boys and they LOVED it! The only way to top that this year was to add CHOCOLATE and thankfully, I found a super creative way to do so, while adding some essential nutrients to help start their day: Carnation Breakfast Essentials®! While I still love to bake and create all of my most decadent recipes and treats, I’ve been testing my hand at creating recipes with added nutrients.. After a very indulgent holiday season, I personally wanted to take more control over our nutrition as a family to help FEEL better without feeling like we are missing out on the treats and goodies we love. Honestly, I can’t think of a more thoughtful way to say I LOVE YOU than to show your loved ones you care about their nutritional needs!
Which is what is SO fun about these waffles…it’s what’s INSIDE that counts! Carnation Breakfast Essentials® helps to add essential nutrients and protein to this delicious chocolate waffle recipe and are the perfect answer to a Valentine’s Day breakfast that the kids (and you) will love!
I love making breakfast extra special for any holiday and #ValentinesDay is one of my absolute favorites. It’s the perfect excuse to decorate my house in anything pink and heart-shaped. I show my love by feeding people…cooking and baking is definitely my #lovelanguage because it shows thought and effort. I cherish the moments in the kitchen and around the table with my kids because so many of my favorite childhood memories are times gathering around food too!
The chocolate waffles will 100% steal the show on Valentine’s Day morning but if you’re looking for some fun ideas to set the scene and mood for love, here are a few ways I’m making my boys feel the love this year:
- Use bud vases to add a floral element to your table with maximum impact – one single rose or flower can make a statement!
- Look for basic linens that can be mixed and matched throughout your seasonal celebrations. I use these red table linens for a number of celebrations over Chrstmas and even the summer months. Patterns like gingham, check and stripes work year round and can make for a fun visual statement for a holiday like Valentine’s Day!
- Break out some festive tableware and glassware – mix and match your heirlooms, vintage finds and everyday items to create an eclectic look that your family will swoon over.
- Create a fun “love letter” with this envelope fold tutorial for each place setting. Finish with a little felt heart cut out and you have yourself a sweet memory in the making!
I hope you find ways to celebrate LOVE all day long starting with breakfast. I added Carnation Breakfast Essentials® into this recipe for an added boost of essential nutrients and the rich milk chocolate flavor we all love! I do feel good knowing that we’re starting our day packed with the protein, vitamins and minerals we all need.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar; optional (any sugar can be used as a replacement)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups Carnation Breakfast Essentials® Original Nutritional Drink
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons melted butter; cooled
- Heat up the waffle maker
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl
- Slowly whisk in the Carnation Breakfast Essentials® Original Nutritional Drink, egg, and vanilla
- Whisk in the butter
- If the mixture is too thick you can add more milk, but this mixture is on the thicker side.
- Butter or oil the heated waffle maker
- Pour batter into the waffle maker; the amount will vary in size depending on the size of the waffle maker
- Cook till golden brown
- Serve with fresh fruit, real maple syrup, and butter
Thank you to Nestlé Carnation Breakfast Essentials® for kindly sponsoring this post. All opinions are 100% honest & completely my own.